Connecticut is primarily known for its delicious seafood, particularly its shad and oysters. However, Connecticut is also home to over 6,000 dairies and has a substantial amount of farmland. Because Connecticut is such a rich source of food, it’s important that its citizens develop healthy eating habits, and this is why many people in Connecticut choose to become registered dietitians.
Connecticut outlines some very specific requirements for becoming a registered dietitian. To enter this career in Connecticut, you must meet these qualifications and receive a license from the Connecticut Department of Public Health.
How to Become a Dietitian in Connecticut
If you have already been granted the designation of a registered dietitian by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR), then you can submit proof of this registration in your application to the Department of Health and be given your license. Otherwise, you need to refer to the following steps.
- Age: To be a dietitian in Connecticut, you must be at least 18 years of age.
- Education: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university that focused at least 30 credit hours on human nutrition, nutrition assessment, biochemistry, health education and food science. Or, a master’s or doctoral degree that focused 30 graduate hours on the same subjects.
- Experience: If you have a bachelor’s degree and are not CDR registered, you will need at least 5,400 of clinical or postgraduate work experience. Master’s or doctoral candidate must have at least 100 hours of experience.
- Exam: Any candidate to be licensed as a dietitian in Connecticut must pass an exam that is approved by the Department of Health. If you possess a master’s or a doctorate degree and have passed a certification exam, you can waive the work experience requirement.
- Citizenship: Connecticut dietitians must be legal aliens or US citizens.
- Background Check: While registered dietitians can work in Connecticut after having committed a felony, these charges will be reviewed on an individual basis. If the felony is against the standards of the practice of being a dietitian, you will not be granted a license.
- Reciprocity: If you can provide proof that you are already licensed in another state, you will be given a dietitian license for Connecticut.
- Licensure: Once you have completed all the requirements outlined by the department of health, you can submit your application along with a $190 application fee. Your application and credentials will be reviewed and a decision will be made within three weeks. If you are approved, you will receive your license.
Degrees Related to Dietitians
Degrees that are similar to dietitians include nutritional science, clinical nutrition and food management and services.
Major Cities in Connecticut
- Bridgeport is the largest city in Connecticut. Although it only has slightly under 150,000 people, it has a population density that closely resembles Los Angeles.
- New Haven is where Yale University is located, providing any dietitian who wants to work in education a great opportunity.
- While located in Connecticut, Stamford is considered to be a part of the New York Metro area. Stamford’s many commuters can benefit from the nutrition plans conceived by dietitians.
What Does a Nutritionist Do?
- A nutritionist works with their clients to develop plans of healthy eating. They will track their client’s progress, make adjustments and promote proper eating habits.
- Many nutritionists and dietitians work as counselors and educators.
- Another duty of a nutritionist or a dietitian is to stay informed on the latest developments in nutritional science so that they can better serve their clients.
Some careers that are related to dietitians include nutritionists, food management specialists and careers in clinical nutrition.
Employment Numbers in Connecticut
Despite its relatively small size, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that there were 830 dietitians working in Connecticut in 2015.
Salary Ranges in Connecticut
Stamford dietitians can make as much as $61,650. In Hartford, the average yearly salary is $61,290; salaries in New Haven can reach $71,210.
Connecticut Dietitian Links