Colorado is a state that is dedicated to growing food. Nearly half of its available land is committed to farms. Some of the most important crops to grow in Colorado include sunflower seeds, hay and peaches. Colorado is also a leading producer of livestock, making this state influential in almost every area related to food.
If you’re someone who is interested in making sure Coloradans eat healthy, then you might be considering a career as a registered dietitian. In Colorado, you are not required to be licensed by any state body to work as a dietitian. The only requirement is that you become a registered dietitian as regulated by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR).
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
How to Become a Dietitian in Colorado
- Age: Before seeking registration, you need to be at least eighteen years old.
- Education: Completion of a Didactic Program in Dietetics. You can find a list of accredited programs with the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Licensure: Anyone who has registered as a dietitian in another country can provide proof or registration to become eligible with the CDR.
- Degree: Completion of an accredited bachelor’s degree.
- Experience: You must complete either an accredited dietetic internship program or an accredited coordinated program under the supervision of a registered dietitian. This experience should total 1200 hours.
- Citizenship: Before registration, you should be a legal alien or a US citizen.
- Examination: Prior to becoming a registered dietitian, you will have to take the CDR registration exam and earn a passing grade.
- Licensure: Colorado does not maintain professional licensing requirements for registered dietitians. Therefore, you can start working as a dietitian in Colorado as soon as you are registered with the CDR.
Degrees Related to Dietitians
Any degree that covers knowledge of human health and nutrition can be useful to the career of a dietitian. Besides a dietetics program, you could also choose a degree in food and nutrition, human biology and clinical nutrition. It’s also common for dietitians to pursue degrees in good management.
Major Cities in Colorado
- The largest city in Colorado is Denver. It has a population of more than 650,000 people.
- Slightly behind Denver in terms of population is Colorado Springs. Since some dietitians work for the military, it is interesting to note that Colorado Springs is home to the Air Force Academy.
- Another major city in Colorado is Aurora, which is home to nearly 350,000 people.
What Does a Nutritionist Do?
- dietitians, as well as nutritionists, work with their patients to develop proper eating habits and a healthier lifestyle. This is done by examining clients’ eating behaviors and then developing a nutrition plan.
- Dietitians can also focus on nutritional education. This can be done on a one-on-one basis or in formal group settings.
- Some dietitians work in large settings like schools or hospitals and develop meal plans for large groups of people.
Any career where you are focused on nutrition and healthy eating habits is similar to that of a dietitian. For example, a nutritionist will do almost the exact same job duties as a dietitian. A dietetic technician is also a similar profession, and they often work alongside registered dietitians.
Employment Numbers in Colorado
In Colorado, there are 930 dietitians employed. This is according to the information provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2015.
Salary Ranges in Colorado
Based on where you choose to practice as a registered dietitian in Colorado, your salary can fluctuate. In Denver and Aurora, for example, dietitians make $62,800. Should you choose to work in Colorado Springs, you will have access to a slightly lower average salary of $57,920.
Colorado dietitian Links