California is one of the largest states in the country, both in terms of land and population. It is also possibly the most agriculturally diverse state in all of the US. Although it has less than 4% of the country’s farms, it is the biggest producer of food, including exclusive crops like kiwifruit, almonds and olives. The sheer variety of fresh, locally grown food in California makes this the perfect state to work as a registered dietitian.
California is one of the few states where you do not need a state license to work as a dietitian. However, you will need to be registered with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR), which means you must follow certain requirements.
How to Become a Dietitian in California
- Age: Only those over 18 can become registered dietitian.
- Education: At the minimum, you must complete a Didactic Program in Dietetics. This program must be approved by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND).
- Licensure: You can apply for registration with the CDR if you have already been registered with a similar organization in another country.
- Degree: You should have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- Experience: Before you sit for the CDR exam, you must accumulate 1200 hours of work experience under the direct supervision by a registered dietitian.
- Citizenship: US citizens and legal aliens are eligible to become registered dietitians.
- Exam: A passing grade must be earned on the CDR exam.
- Licensure: There is no license to work as a dietitian in California. When you have completed the basic requirements of the CDR and achieved a passing grade in their exam, you can start working as a registered dietitian in this state.
Degrees Related to dietitians
You don’t necessarily have to enter a dietetics degree program to become a dietitian. In fact, there are many degrees that are related to this exciting career. A few of the degree types that those seeking dietitian careers may pursue include clinical nutrition, human nutrition and food service principles.
Major Cities in California
- Los Angeles is California’s largest city, and is home to almost 4 million people. Almost every resident of Los Angeles is health conscious, making it the ideal destination for registered dietitians.
- San Diego is one of the youngest cities in California. A quarter of the population is under twenty. Registered dietitians look to promote healthy eating in society’s youth will love working here.
- San Jose is the home to Silicon Valley, the world’s tech capital. Healthy eating is particularly important in San Jose, as they work very intense schedules.
What Does a Nutritionist Do?
- The main duty of a dietitian or a nutritionist is to determine their client’s nutritional needs and then help them develop the habits to meet those needs. dietitians will also keep track of how their client’s nutritional plan is progressing and will make adjustments as needed.
- Providing nutritional education in their communities.
- Studying developments in nutritional health.
Careers that are similar to working as a dietitian will be related to food and nutrition. This can include working as a dietetic technician or as a nutritional specialist.
Employment Numbers in California
California has one of the largest numbers of working dietitians in the country. As recorded by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), 6,890 dietitians worked in California in 2015. Almost a third of that number was employed in the Los Angeles area.
Salary Ranges in California
dietitians in California make different salaries depending on the city in which they work. In Los Angeles, a dietitian can make as much as $72,260. In San Jose, the salary is $76,680. San Diego dietitians can earn $66,700.